- 200 kids to receive NERF ENERGY Game Kits, gaining access to a limited-release game that aims to help reduce youth obesity through “exergaming”
- This initiative, a collaboration between Hasbro and UnitedHealthcare, is part of a nationwide program with Boys & Girls Clubs to encourage greater physical activity among youth
WHAT: 200 members of Boys & Girls Clubs of Miami-Dade will receive NERF ENERGY Game Kits from UnitedHealthcare Thursday, Jan. 18.
Each kit includes a NERF ENERGY Game Band, a NERF PRO FOAM soccer ball and instructions to download the NERF ENERGY RUSH mobile game to get kids moving. Elementary-age club members (six to 12 years old) will demonstrate how the kits work with the help of UnitedHealthcare mascot Dr. Health E. Hound, who will lead the group through exercises and relays.
The donation is part of a national initiative that encourages young people to become more active through “exergaming.” UnitedHealthcare is donating 10,000 NERF ENERGY Game Kits to schools and community organizations across the country.
WHO: Boys & Girls Clubs of Miami-Dade
Travis Garland, COO, UnitedHealthcare of Florida Community & State
WHERE: Boys & Girls Clubs of Miami-Dade Hank Kline Club
2805 SW 32 Ave.
Miami, Fla., 33133
WHEN: Thursday, Jan. 18, 3:15 p.m.
VISUALS: Boys & Girls Clubs of Miami-Dade members participating in exercises and relays with UnitedHealthcare mascot Dr. Health E. Hound; kids testing out the NERF ENERGY RUSH game
WHY: Childhood obesity is a national health crisis
- Nationwide, approximately 17 percent of children and adolescents ages two to 19 are obese, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- In Florida, 13 percent of children are considered obese. (America’s Health Rankings)
- The NERF ENERGY Game Kits are designed to encourage physical activity among children in a fun and playful way with rewards, called “exergaming.” As children participate in physical activity, they earn “energy points” that are tracked by the activity band, and these points turn into screen time to play the mobile game on a smartphone or tablet.
About Boys & Girls Clubs of Miami-Dade
Boys & Girls Clubs of Miami-Dade has been serving youth in the community since 1940. What once was a single building and site for boys has grown to five Clubs serving thousands of boys and girls year round, providing programs in the areas of character and leadership development, educational enhancement, career preparation, health and life skills, cultural arts and sports, fitness and recreation. Club staffing, initiatives, and programs are designed to inspire and enable young people and provide them with the resources to succeed and share in the American Dream. For more information, please visit www.bgcmia.org.
Hasbro (NASDAQ: HAS) is a global play and entertainment company committed to Creating the World's Best Play Experiences. From toys and games to television, movies, digital gaming and consumer products, Hasbro offers a variety of ways for audiences to experience its iconic brands, including NERF, MY LITTLE PONY, TRANSFORMERS, PLAY-DOH, MONOPOLY, LITTLEST PET SHOP and MAGIC: THE GATHERING, as well as premier partner brands. The Company's Hasbro Studios and its film label, Allspark Pictures, are building its brands globally through great storytelling and content on all screens. Through its commitment to corporate social responsibility and philanthropy, Hasbro is helping to make the world a better place for children and their families. Learn more at www.hasbro.com, and follow us on Twitter (@Hasbro & @HasbroNews) and Instagram (@Hasbro).
UnitedHealthcare is dedicated to helping people nationwide live healthier lives by simplifying the health care experience, meeting consumer health and wellness needs, and sustaining trusted relationships with care providers. The company offers the full spectrum of health benefit programs for individuals, employers, military service members, retirees and their families, and Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries, and contracts directly with 1 million physicians and care professionals, and 6,000 hospitals and other care facilities nationwide. UnitedHealthcare is one of the businesses of UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH), a diversified Fortune 50 health and well-being company. For more information, visit UnitedHealthcare at www.uhc.com or follow @UHC on Twitter.