With many exciting events and performances coming up at the Riverwalk Arts & Entertainment District for the holidays and more, some of The District’s partners are adding special food & wine component to select programs, making them even more enjoyable. From history tours, to winter holiday gatherings, to a museum “Art of Wine & Food Series,” to musical performances, The District is presenting many endearing epicurean events in the upcoming months. They include:
Fort Lauderdale Historical Society
Spirits of the New River Ghost Tour
Thursday, Oct. 26, 2017
6–8 p.m.$49 per person
The evening begins with a wine bar and light bites in the Lucy Bryan Dining Room. Guests will view documentary footage of a professional paranormal investigation of the 1905 New River Inn. Then, professional ghost hunters lead guests through an exploration of the historic property and introduce them to the permanent guests. For more information and to RSVP, visit www.fortlauderdalehistoricalsociety.org/event/2017/10/11/213440.
Historic Solstice Cruise
Thursday, Dec. 21, 2017
6–9 p.m.$45–$55 per person
This enchanting evening on the water will begin at the New River Inn with wine, spirits, and light bites. Guests will board a private boat to view holiday lights and learn stories of early settlers and first peoples along the New River. Meet at History Fort Lauderdale (231 SW 2nd Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301). For more information or reservations, call (964) 463-4431 or visit www.fortlauderdalehistoricalsociety.org/event/historic-solstice-cruise.
NSU Art Museum Fort Lauderdale
Art of Wine & Food Series
Once a month, year-round
6–8 p.m.$40 per person; $25 members at the Patron level and above
Guests learn the art of food pairing during these fun evenings of wine tastings with small plates. RSVP at nsuartmuseum.org/events or 954-262-0258.
- Thursday, Nov. 2, 2017: “Thankful for Wine”
- Thursday, Dec. 7, 2017: “Light Up the Holidays”
- Thursday, Jan. 4, 2018: “Just in Time”
- Thursday, Feb. 1, 2018: “Wine and Romance”
- Thursday, March 1, 2018: “Toast to Spring”
- Thursday, April 12, 2018: “Stop & Smell the Vino”
- Thursday, May 3, 2018: “Chill Out for Summer”
- Thursday, June 7: “Red, White & Wine”
Historic Stranahan House Museum
Jan. 4, 2018
5:30–8 p.m.$40 per person; sponsorships available
Guests will kick off the New Year with delicious food from various local restaurants, specialty cocktails, house tours and live entertainment. Each guest will receive a chance to win a 25-person private party at the Historic Stranahan House Museum. To purchase tickets, visit www.tinyurl.com/Hangover18.
Bonnet House Museum & Gardens
Concerts Under the Stars
Once a month, January–April
7–9 p.m.Various pricing
The finest young talent in South Florida will perform. These concerts on the beautiful Bonnet House estate include wine, cookies and coffee in the ticket price. The evening’s activities take place in and around the house with the concert taking place on the veranda beneath the moon and stars. To purchase tickets, visit www.bonnethouse.org or call 954-703-2606.
- Thursday, Jan. 18, 2018: UM Frost Opera Theater
- Thursday, Feb. 15, 2018: Florida Atlantic University
- Thursday, March 15, 2018: Lynn University String Quartet
- Thursday, April 5, 2018: Dillard Jazz Ensemble
Broward Center for the Performing Arts
Guests will enjoy wine tastings prior to Florida Grand Opera, Classical Music Series and Gold Coast Jazz performances:
Florida Grand Opera
Visit www.fgo.org for information and pricing.
- Saturday, Dec. 2, 2017, 6 p.m.: “Lucia di Lammermoor,” written by Salvatore Cammarano, music by Gaetano Donizetti
- Saturday, Feb. 10, 2018, 6 p.m.: “Salome” by Richard Strauss
- Saturday, March 31, 2018, 6 p.m.: “Orfeo ed Euridice” by Christoph Willibald Gluck
Classical Music Series
Visit www.browardcenter.org/subscriptions/2017-2018-broward-center-classical-series for information and pricing.
- Friday, Dec. 8, 2017: Master Chorale of South Florida, “Handel’s Messiah”
- Tuesday, March 6, 2018: Lang, Goldberg Variations
- Monday, March 26, 2018: Academy of St Martin in the Fields with Joshua Bell
- Saturday, April 14, 2018: Danish String Quartet, All Beethoven Program
Gold Coast Jazz
Visit www.browardcenter.org/subscriptions/2017-2018-gold-coast-jazz for information and pricing.
- Wednesday, Dec. 6, 2017, 6:45 p.m.: Ann Hampton Callaway, “Diva Power”
- Wednesday, Jan. 10, 2018, 6:45 p.m.: Cyrille Aimée & the Shelly Berg Trio
- Wednesday, Feb. 14, 2018, 6:45 p.m.: Willie Jones III All-stars, “Love Songs and Lovers…The Ones You Have Forgotten”
- Sunday, March 4, 2018, 6:45 p.m. Loston Harris Trio Loston Harris Plays the Great American Songbook
“The food & wine components at select District events make them that much more special,” said Carmen Ackerman, Riverwalk Arts & Entertainment District project manager. “We are very happy that several of our partners are presenting these epicurean treats for guests to enjoy.”
About Riverwalk Arts & Entertainment District
Riverwalk Arts & Entertainment District is a unique partnership of arts and entertainment organizations located along the New River in downtown Fort Lauderdale with the express mission of promoting cultural tourism in South Florida. Presenting over 1000 individual events each year, The District attracts well over 1 million visitors annually. Partners of The District Consortium include Broward Center for the Performing Arts, NSU Art Museum Fort Lauderdale, Florida Grand Opera, Fort Lauderdale Historical Society, the Historic Stranahan House Museum and Bonnet House Museum & Gardens. It is supported by the Broward County Board of County Commissioners as recommended by the Broward Cultural Council and the Greater Fort Lauderdale Convention & Visitors Bureau. For more information about The District and its partners, visit www.riverwalkae.com.